Definitions for "Dandy Roll"
During the paper making process while the paper is still 90% water, it passes over a wire mesh cylinder (dandy roll), which imparts surface textures on the paper such as wove or laid. This is also the stage where the watermark is put onto the paper
A wire mesh cylinder used to smooth the top of paper as it forms. Enhancing surface smoothness and formation, the dandy roll may also carry a design, which will create a water- mark, identifying the sheet.
In papermaking, a wire cylinder on paper making machines that makes wove or laid effects on the texture, as well as the watermark itself. Used in the manufacture of better grades of business and book papers.